CCSS.Math.Content.6.SP.A.2 - Understand that a set of data collected to answer a statistical question has a distribution which can be described by its center, spread, and overall shape.
Authors: National Governors Association Center for Best Practices, Council of Chief State School Officers
Title: CCSS.Math.Content.6.SP.A.2 Understand That A Set Of Data Collected To Answer A Statistical... Statistics and Probability - 6th Grade Mathematics Common Core State Standards
Publisher: National Governors Association Center for Best Practices, Council of Chief State School Officers, Washington D.C.
Copyright Date: 2010
(Page last edited 10/08/2017)
- Bean Pi - To involve students in a small group exploration of the concept of area for circles, and to involve students in data collection.
- Leap Frog - Design an experiment to answer a question, collect information, and interpret the results using charts
- Marbles - Students learn about sampling with and without replacement by modeling drawing marbles from a bag. Parameters: Number and color of marbles in the bag, replacement rule.
- Practice with Data - Answer five questions about collecting and organizing data - from the Internet archive, the Wayback Machine
- Probability - Spy Guys Interactive Lesson 19
- Quantitative Environmental Learning Project - A rich source of data based projects
- The Random Ball-Picking Machine - Experiment with a random generator at a BBC site to collect data to make decisions about probability.
- Understanding Probability - Lesson plan from Discovery Education