CCSS.Math.Content.6.NS.C.6 - Understand a rational number as a point on the number line. Extend number line diagrams and coordinate axes familiar from previous grades to represent points on the line and in the plane with negative number coordinates.
CCSS.Math.Content.6.NS.C.6.a - Recognize opposite signs of numbers as indicating locations on opposite sides of 0 on the number line; recognize that the opposite of the opposite of a number is the number itself, e.g., -(-3) = 3, and that 0 is its own opposite.
CCSS.Math.Content.6.NS.C.6.b - Understand signs of numbers in ordered pairs as indicating locations in quadrants of the coordinate plane; recognize that when two ordered pairs differ only by signs, the locations of the points are related by reflections across one or both axes.
CCSS.Math.Content.6.NS.C.6.c - Find and position integers and other rational numbers on a horizontal or vertical number line diagram; find and position pairs of integers and other rational numbers on a coordinate plane.
Authors: National Governors Association Center for Best Practices, Council of Chief State School Officers
Title: CCSS.Math.Content.6.NS.C.6 Understand A Rational Number As A Point On The Number... The Number System - 6th Grade Mathematics Common Core State Standards
Publisher: National Governors Association Center for Best Practices, Council of Chief State School Officers, Washington D.C.
Copyright Date: 2010
(Page last edited 10/08/2017)
- Adding and Subtracting Integers - Using a number line, several examples of adding to a negative integer are given
- Advanced Graphing Applet - Interactive site which identifies the ordered pairs of points students click on
- Algebra Puzzle - Find the value of each of the three objects presented in the puzzle. The numbers given represent the sum of the objects in each row or column. Sometimes, only one object will appear in a row or column. That makes the puzzle easier to solve. Other times, you will have to look for relationships among the objects.
- Applications of Integers - Deals with negative numbers in the real world; temperature, banking, and sea level measurement are discussed, in addition hockey's use of negative numbers is included
- Catch the Fly - Use the keyboard to enter the x and y values of an ordered pair to help the fly catch a bug. No score is kept, each question is essentially a one question game
- Colored Chip Models - Use manipulatives to model addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division with positive and negative integers [includes two practice problems]
- Compare Decimals using a Number Line - Practice problems
- Comparing and Ordering Integers - Number Line practice
- Comparing Values - Create your own math facts worksheets for comparing values. Problems can include calculations using positive and negative numbers, and two digit decimal values
- Coordinate Geometry - Introduction, explanation, examples and practice problems
- Coordinate Plane Practice - Students type ordered pairs in the blocks on this interactive PowerPoint show
- Estimate - Guess the number point on the number line. After students make their estimate you reveal the answer and display a new problem.Good for IWB.
- Explaining Negative Numbers - Video from YouTube (may be blocked by some school filters)
- Expressions, Equation Solving and Graphing in the Coordinate Plane - The Haunted house and many more coordinate plane practice problems
- General Coordinates Game - Students investigate the Cartesian coordinate system through identifying the coordinates of points, or requesting that a particular point be plotted
- Graphing Applet - Interactive site which identifies the ordered pairs of points students click on
- Graphing Equations and Inequalities - Unit Quiz
- Graphing linear equations - Practice from Math.com
- Graphing Ordered Pairs - Explanation and interactive practice
- Graphing Skills - What's the point? find the point on the grid
- Greg's Grid Graphs - Help Greg and his family plan their visit to the museum
- Integer WebQuest - This WebQuest includes a section on negative integers
- Line Jumper - Students practice locating numbers on a number line with this Fun Brain game [five levels of difficulty are available]
- Make a Number Line - Learn how to make a number line for use with an interactive whiteboard or other projection devices.
- Maze Game - Students use their knowledge of points on a graph to move a robot to the target, while avoiding mines.
- Negative Numbers for Children - Learn this card game to help students understand negative and positive numbers.
- Negative Numbers in Real Life - Explanation from Ask Dr. Math
- Negative Numbers In The Real World - Answers to a student's question in Yahoo Answers
- Negative Numbers on a Number Line - Explanation from the Math League
- Number Line - Use this workbook on an interactive whiteboard or projection device. Two number lines are provided; one is divided into fourths and the other is divided into fifths. A second set of numbers is available to replace the ones below the number line. Edit the text boxes to make new numbers. [Excel workbook to download]
- Ordered Simple Plot - Interactive coordinate plane from Shodor
- Placing Calculations on a Number Line - Four types to choose from; calculations involving addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division
- Placing Numbers on a Number Line - Five styles to choose from including whole numbers, fractions and decimals
- Printable Number Lines for Math - List of number lines to print and use as handouts or worksheets
- Rational Numbers on a Number Line - compare decimals with or without a number line
- Rational Numbers on the Number Line - Worksheet with explanation and eleven practice problems
- Reading a Grid - Find Hurkle behind the grid. Type ordered pairs to find him
- Rectangular Coordinate System - Algebra tutorial
- Simple Coordinates Game - Students investigate the first quadrant of the Cartesian coordinate system through identifying the coordinates of points, or requesting that a particular point be plotted
- Simple Maze Game - Students investigate the first Quadrant of the Cartesian coordinate system by directing a robot through a mine field laid out on the plane
- Slope and y-intercept - Practice from Math.com
- Stock the Shelves - You have two minutes to put the soda bottles in their correct places on the coordinate plane
- Teaching Operations for Integers - Number line practice, patterns and more.
- The coordinate plane - Practice from Math.com
- The Number Line - Sea level and temperature examples are given on a vertical number line
- Tips for Teaching Integers - Helpful tips on teaching number line, negative and positive.
- Understanding Integers - Lesson 6 from Spy Guys Interactive
- Using Ordered Pairs - Spy Guys Interactive Lesson #18
- What's the Point? - A coordinate plane game from Funbrain.com (use the hardest level)
- Winter in Queenstown - An activity which asks students to explain the meaning of negative numbers and sketch and interpret graphs which represent everyday situations. If the page doesn't load quickly click on the word Impatient at the bottom right of the page.
- Working with Negative Numbers - Seven page worksheet on working with negative temperatures and money
- Worksheet Generator - Print your own blank coordinate plane worksheets, you determine the number of grids on a sheet and whether the grids are numbered or not