CCSS.Math.Content.6.NS.C.5 - Understand that positive and negative numbers are used together to describe quantities having opposite directions or values (e.g., temperature above/below zero, elevation above/below sea level, credits/debits, positive/negative electric charge); use positive and negative numbers to represent quantities in real-world contexts, explaining the meaning of 0 in each situation.
Authors: National Governors Association Center for Best Practices, Council of Chief State School Officers
Title: CCSS.Math.Content.6.NS.C.5 Understand That Positive And Negative Numbers Are Used Together... The Number System - 6th Grade Mathematics Common Core State Standards
Publisher: National Governors Association Center for Best Practices, Council of Chief State School Officers, Washington D.C.
Copyright Date: 2010
(Page last edited 10/08/2017)
- Deviations from the Mean - Explore a new way to consider excesses and deficits
- Integer WebQuest - This WebQuest includes a section on negative integers
- Negative Numbers in Real Life - Explanation from Ask Dr. Math
- Negative Numbers In The Real World - Answers to a student's question in Yahoo Answers
- Winter in Queenstown - An activity which asks students to explain the meaning of negative numbers and sketch and interpret graphs which represent everyday situations. If the page doesn't load quickly click on the word Impatient at the bottom right of the page.
- Working with Negative Numbers - Seven page worksheet on working with negative temperatures and money