CCSS.Math.Content.1.OA.C.5 - Relate counting to addition and subtraction (e.g., by counting on 2 to add 2).
Authors: National Governors Association Center for Best Practices, Council of Chief State School Officers
Title: CCSS.Math.Content.1.OA.C.5 Relate Counting To Addition And Subtraction (e.g., By Counting On... Operations and Algebraic Thinking - 1st Grade Mathematics Common Core State Standards
Publisher: National Governors Association Center for Best Practices, Council of Chief State School Officers, Washington D.C.
Copyright Date: 2010
(Page last edited 10/08/2017)
- Bug Catcher - Catch the bugs by moving the frog along the number line. Count forwards or backwards on the number line between the frog and the bug.
- Counting back to add and subtract - Addition and Subtraction strategies through 10.
- How many under the shell? - After Okta hides some bubbles under a shell, he then either adds more bubbles or takes some away. Students have to determine how many bubbles are left under the shell.
- Kayak - Catch the bugs by moving the frog along the number line. Count forwards or backwards on the number line between the frog and the bug. Select the equation which displays the correct operator and matches your count
- Macaroni Math - 6-lesson unit, "students explore the take away model of subtraction in several different contexts (counting, sets, number line, balanced equations, and inverse of addition) using pasta shapes. They also decompose numbers and explore both the zero property and the relationship between addition and subtraction. Students act out subtraction situations with objects and represent subtraction in pictures, then compose and solve problems involving subtraction."
- Number Line Fun - Interactive number line, can be used in whole class activity as well.
- Space Jumps - Listen carefully to the directions and jump the spaceman to the rock by clicking on the correct answer to make 10, then click on the answer that completes the problem to go to the spaceship.
- Submarine Pad - Count on and add 10 to the number, then press the Fire button.