CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.2.5 - Know and use various text features (e.g., captions, bold print, subheadings, glossaries, indexes, electronic menus, icons) to locate key facts or information in a text efficiently.
Authors: National Governors Association Center for Best Practices, Council of Chief State School Officers
Title: CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.2.5 Know And Use Various Text Features (e.g., Captions,... Reading:Informational Text - 2nd Grade English Language Arts Common Core State Standards
Publisher: National Governors Association Center for Best Practices, Council of Chief State School Officers, Washington D.C.
Copyright Date: 2010
(Page last edited 10/08/2017)
- Captions - Ask students to do this assignment; finding a picture and giving it a caption.
- Captions-Lesson Plan - Print out this worksheet on analyzing the meaning of captions.
- Chapter Heading - Online interactive lesson with practice included.
- Finding Information - Help find the answers to the question, after reading the information.
- Graphic Organizer-Text Features - Use this graphic organizer to write down text features and how they help readers.
- Index of a Book - Online lesson with practice included.
- Learning about Chapter Headings - Use this online lesson to learn about this concept; practice included.
- Parts of a Book Game - Can you guess which part of the book answers the question?
- Posters - Text Features - Print these out and post around the room as reminders of each feature's definition.
- Table of Contents - Online lesson explaining topic with practice included.
- Table of Contents - Use this online lesson to learn about this concept; practice included.
- Text Features - Learn to identify several text features.
- Text Features Quiz - Read the passage and click on the Chapter Heading you think is correct.
- Text Features Quiz - Check your understanding of text features with this online self-checking quiz
- The Index - Online lesson explaining topic with practice included.
- Title Page - Online interactive lesson with practice included.
- Unit Plan; Looking at Text Features - Complete unit on many types of text features with handouts included.