CCSS.Math.Content.2.NBT.B.9 - Explain why addition and subtraction strategies work, using place value and the properties of operations.
Authors: National Governors Association Center for Best Practices, Council of Chief State School Officers
Title: CCSS.Math.Content.2.NBT.B.9 Explain Why Addition And Subtraction Strategies Work,... Number and Operations in Base Ten - 2nd Grade Mathematics Common Core State Standards
Publisher: National Governors Association Center for Best Practices, Council of Chief State School Officers, Washington D.C.
Copyright Date: 2010
(Page last edited 10/08/2017)
- Adding to Subtract; worksheet - Good whole class activity; discuss the various strategies children used to solve the problems.
- Addition to 50 - Worksheet or whole class IWB activity; use various strategies to find the missing number.
- Draggable Math - Good activity for IWB or whole class; choose level of question, then answer it.
- Mathsheet Generator - Use this generator to create your own worksheet; set the parameters yourself. Ask students to share their strategies for answering the problems.
- Missing Numbers - Activity for IWB or whole class. Input your own parameters.
- Related Addition Facts - Online quiz; write the related addition fact.
- Related Subtration Facts - Online quiz; write the related asubtraction fact.
- Subtraction Strategies - Article with explanations of various strategies; good for whole class or IWB. Click on the link at the bottom for practice exercises.
- What two numbers add up to 50? - Online interactive quiz/game format. Good for whole class activity. Ask students to explain their strategies in this game of cards.