CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.8.2 - Determine a theme or central idea of a text and analyze its development over the course of the text, including its relationship to the characters, setting, and plot; provide an objective summary of the text.
Authors: National Governors Association Center for Best Practices, Council of Chief State School Officers
Title: CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.8.2 Determine A Theme Or Central Idea Of A Text And Analyze... Reading:Literature - 8th Grade English Language Arts Common Core State Standards
Publisher: National Governors Association Center for Best Practices, Council of Chief State School Officers, Washington D.C.
Copyright Date: 2010
(Page last edited 10/08/2017)
- A Detailed Speech Outline - If you base your speech on this outline you should be able to make a successful speech, or if you use the outline to look at a speech someone else gave, you can critique more effectively
- Biography Project: Research and Class Presentation - As students give the class presentations, have other students use the Oral Presentation Peer Feedback Form to write their feedback.
- Incredible Shrinking Notes - Lesson plan on how to summarize what is heard
- On Writing a Paper - Article suggesting on how to write a complicated thesis; outline suggestion given along with tips
- Quoting, Paraphrasing, and Summarizing - Defines each and then tells why and how to use each
- Scaling Back to Essentials: Scaffolding Summarization With Fishbone Mapping - Complete fishbone maps that highlight the main ideas and relevant details from a cause-effect text; lesson plan [from the Internet Archive]
- Summarising: a glossary of terms - A summary of useful terms
- Summarizing - Lesson on learning to summarize
- Summarizing - In this lesson you will: review the basics of summarizing, identify main idea statements and detail statements, and use categories to summarize lists
- Summarizing a written text - How to summarize a written text
- Thesis Statement - A thesis takes a stand rather than announcing a subject [from LEO]
- Thesis Statements - How to write a thesis statement
- Tips and Examples for Writing Thesis Statements - From the OWL at Purdue
- Understanding summaries - Exercise in understanding summaries