CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.4.4 - Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words and phrases based on grade 4 reading and content, choosing flexibly from a range of strategies.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.4.4.a - Use context (e.g., definitions, examples, or restatements in text) as a clue to the meaning of a word or phrase.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.4.4.b - Use common, grade-appropriate Greek and Latin affixes and roots as clues to the meaning of a word (e.g., telegraph, photograph, autograph).
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.4.4.c - Consult reference materials (e.g., dictionaries, glossaries, thesauruses), both print and digital, to find the pronunciation and determine or clarify the precise meaning of key words and phrases.
Authors: National Governors Association Center for Best Practices, Council of Chief State School Officers
Title: CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.4.4 Determine Or Clarify The Meaning Of Unknown And Multiple-meaning Words... Language - 4th Grade English Language Arts Common Core State Standards
Publisher: National Governors Association Center for Best Practices, Council of Chief State School Officers, Washington D.C.
Copyright Date: 2010
(Page last edited 10/08/2017)
- Adding to Root Words - Build your own words, adding prefixes and suffixes to the root words. [Skillwise worksheet]
- Bingo Lingo - Players match words on their bingo cards with word roots drawn at random.
- Derive Meaning from Words and Phrases - Worksheet practice; Use context clues, word parts, or the dictionary to help you figure out the meanings of the words in dark type
- Dictionary Exercises - This section will help you review and strengthen your knowledge of the dictionary. The 30 exercises are grouped into beginner, intermediate, and advanced levels. Determine your level of knowledge and then select an exercise from the lists at the site.
- Environmental Rescue - Turn a polluted pond into a paradise by building complete sentences.
- Finding New Ways to Say Something - Practice your alphabetizing skills, learn about synonyms and pick the right one to finish a sentence, and match words to their entries in a thesaurus
- Heinle's Newbury House Dictionary of American English - Simple, clear definitions, this online tool provides a wealth of sample sentences and idioms. quizzes and activities also.
- How To Use The Microsoft Word Thesaurus - Specific directions on using the Word Thesaurus
- Infoplease - Dictionary, encyclopedia, atlas, thesaurus and more
- It Came from Greek Mythology - Worksheet; fill out the characteristics of these characters.
- News Broadcast for Kids - News Broadcast activity; can be done at home or school.
- Poetry Recitation Lesson: Field Participation - Lesson plan; Students will choose and memorize a poem of at least 16 lines keeping in mind the importance of expression, memory, eye contact, and a visual compliment as listed on the evaluation sheet of recitation rubrics.
- Practice Word Meanings - Online practice; read text and findword meaning; good to use on IWB.
- Root Words - Underline the root words in the slides. Circle the prefix or suffix.
- Roots and Their Families - Learn common roots that appear in many words, sort roots to complete sentences correctly, and answer questions about new words by using their roots as clues
- s Superman Really All That Super? Critically Exploring Superheroes -
- Speech Tips - Use these tips for planning out a speech and delivering it to the intended audience.
- Story Frame Ideas - Many ideas on various ways to frame a story
- The Great Depression - Lesson plan; students begin by researching and collecting information from a variety of sources. Students develop an appreciation of the difficulties endured by many people during the era of the Great Depression.
- Word Meaning in a Passage - Online lesson plan with exercise to follow lesson