CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.8.4 - Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words or phrases based on grade 8 reading and content, choosing flexibly from a range of strategies.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.8.4.a - Use context (e.g., the overall meaning of a sentence or paragraph; a word’s position or function in a sentence) as a clue to the meaning of a word or phrase.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.8.4.b - Use common, grade-appropriate Greek or Latin affixes and roots as clues to the meaning of a word (e.g., precede, recede, secede).
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.8.4.c - Consult general and specialized reference materials (e.g., dictionaries, glossaries, thesauruses), both print and digital, to find the pronunciation of a word or determine or clarify its precise meaning or its part of speech.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.8.4.d - Verify the preliminary determination of the meaning of a word or phrase (e.g., by checking the inferred meaning in context or in a dictionary).
Authors: National Governors Association Center for Best Practices, Council of Chief State School Officers
Title: CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.8.4 Determine Or Clarify The Meaning Of Unknown And Multiple-meaning Words... Language - 8th Grade English Language Arts Common Core State Standards
Publisher: National Governors Association Center for Best Practices, Council of Chief State School Officers, Washington D.C.
Copyright Date: 2010
(Page last edited 10/08/2017)
- A Fun Way to Teach Similes - A lesson idea from Bruce Lansky
- Academic Vocabulary - Ten subjects to select from
- Adding to Root Words - Build your own words, adding prefixes and suffixes to the root words. [Skillwise worksheet]
- Analyzing Poetry Tips - The elements of analyzing poetry listed at this site will help you identify the meaning through its parts and give a sense of interpreting a poem.
- Bingo Lingo - Players match words on their bingo cards with word roots drawn at random.
- Building on Root Words - How to use prefixes and suffixes with root words. [Skillwise worksheet]
- Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary - Worksheets and activities linked to this site, also Idiom dictionary
- Choosing Suffixes for Root Words - Exercise in choosing suffixes for root words. [Skillwise worksheet]
- Choosing the Right Ending - Information to help you choose the right ending for root words [Skillwise factsheet]
- Complete sentence using correct vocabulary word - Select easy, medium or hard
- Connotation Mini-Lesson - Proceed through a series of steps, gradually increasing their control over language, until they independently produce a text in which they concentrate on selecting words with powerful connotations
- Dictionary Exercises - This section will help you review and strengthen your knowledge of the dictionary. The 30 exercises are grouped into beginner, intermediate, and advanced levels. Determine your level of knowledge and then select an exercise from the lists at the site.
- Do you know your metaphors? - Drag words to make a metaphor
- Do you know your similes? - Drag the nouns to complete a Simile (Refresh the page to get a new set.)
- Easy as Pie - Download a document - a set of cliches to edit using the MS Word Thesaurus - instructions included on the document
- Figurative Language Quiz - Alliteration, similes and metaphors, personification, connotation and imagery
- Flip-a-Chip - Examining Affixes and Roots to Build Vocabulary - lesson plan
- Greek & Latin Roots Skills - Four types of Quia activities
- Greek affixes - Meanings
- Growing From Root Words - How to find a root word and 'growing' new words from root words. [Skillwise worksheet]
- Heinle's Newbury House Dictionary of American English - Simple, clear definitions, this online tool provides a wealth of sample sentences and idioms. quizzes and activities also.
- Homographs - A two person Quia quiz
- Homonyms Exercises - This section will help you review and strengthen your knowledge of Homonyms. The 30 exercises are grouped into beginner, intermediate, and advanced levels. Determine your level of knowledge and then select an exercise from the lists
- How To Use The Microsoft Word Thesaurus - Specific directions on using the Word Thesaurus
- How Words Work - Learning the common roots and prefixes; meanings of prefixes
- Infoplease - Dictionary, encyclopedia, atlas, thesaurus and more
- Interactive Vocabulary Builders for Test Prep - A collection of resources at Internet4Classrooms
- Latin and Greek Word Elements - Article with examples of common roots
- Literary Devices Quizzes - Concentration quiz on similes, metaphors, personification, slang/dialect and allusions
- Literary Devices Quizzes - Flashcards on similes, metaphors, personification, slang/dialect and allusions
- Literary Devices Quizzes - Matching quiz on similes, metaphors, personification, slang/dialect and allusions
- Literature Terms - Read sentence and determine if the wording is connotative or denotative
- Metaphor Battleship Quiz - Quia quiz using the Battleship game format
- Metaphor Quiz - A ten-question quiz at Quia
- Metaphor Quiz - To print
- Multiple Meaning Words - Long list of words to use as writing prompts, students write two sentences for each word using the word as a noun and then as a verb
- Multiple Meaning Zig Zags activity 1 - Draw lines connecting each multiple meaning word to two descriptions [.doc format ]
- Multiple Meaning Zig Zags activity 2 - Draw lines connecting each multiple meaning word to two descriptions [.doc format ]
- Multiple Meanings Game - Lesson plan from Education World, print pairs of cards and have students search for the student matching their word, 6th to 8th grade word list included
- One-minute Video on Root Words - Why learn about root words?
- Oral Presentation Skills : Body language - Using body language in a presentation
- Ordering the Phrases - Excellent interactive quiz; learn about the different stages of a presentation and to learn some phrases that tell your audience where you are in your presentation.
- Organized Speech Writing: Speech Structure - Seven part video lesson
- Patterns of Organization and Their Clue Words - Handout for students [from the Internet Archive]
- Planning, Writing, and Completing Oral Presentations - Quiz with 30 multiple choice questions and 5 essay questions
- Prefix Skills - Quia quiz
- Principles of Organization - Scroll to middle of page to get to this section; four broad principles
- Root Words - Underline the root words in the slides. Circle the prefix or suffix.
- Root Words - Summary of what root words are and why they are helpful. [Skillwise factsheet]
- Root Words - Entry level quiz [Skillwise quiz]
- Root Words - Level one quiz [Skillwise quiz]
- Rooting Out Words - Help Remainder the Dog gather enough mushrooms to sell at the market by uncovering the roots of words. (three categories, several difficulty levels - from FunBrain)
- Roots & Prefixes - Test your knowledge of the meanings of Latin and Greek roots and prefixes! Quia quiz
- Simile lesson - Includes a printable quiz
- Taking Away the Prefix to Find the Root Word - Exercise in finding the root word by removing the prefix. [Skillwise worksheet]
- Taking Away the Suffix to Find the Root Word - Exercise in finding the root word by removing the suffix [Skillwise worksheet]
- Techniques for Writing: Using Specific Language - Strike a balance between specific and general language. Interactive exercise.
- Using a Glossary - A lab activity to recognize and use the definitions in a glossary as they relate to a text [10 multiple-choice questions]
- Using Context Clues - This section will help you review and strengthen your knowledge of using context clues. The 30 exercises are grouped into beginner, intermediate, and advanced levels. Determine your level of knowledge and then select an exercise from the lists at the site.
- Using Root Words to Make New Words - How to use root words to make new words. [Skillwise worksheet]
- Using the Dictionary - A lab to use the dictionary to understand the meanings of words in context [20 multiple-choice questions]
- Vocabulary - Complete each sentence using the correct word
- Vocabulary Review - Many activities; answer key given at bottom of page
- Vocabulary Worksheets for Test Prep - A collection of resources at Internet4Classrooms
- Ways to Make Communication Sparkle - We can sparkle in conversations, walking down the street or even ordering fries at McDonald's.
- Word Parts - This section will help you review and strengthen your knowledge of root words, prefixes, and suffixes. For each topic, exercises are grouped into beginner, intermediate, and advanced levels. Determine your level of knowledge and then select an exercise from the lists below. The 87 exercises are grouped into beginner, intermediate, and advanced levels.