CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.3.5 - Demonstrate understanding of figurative language, word relationships and nuances in word meanings.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.3.5.a - Distinguish the literal and nonliteral meanings of words and phrases in context (e.g., take steps).
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.3.5.b - Identify real-life connections between words and their use (e.g., describe people who are friendly or helpful).
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.3.5.c - Distinguish shades of meaning among related words that describe states of mind or degrees of certainty (e.g., knew, believed, suspected, heard, wondered).
Authors: National Governors Association Center for Best Practices, Council of Chief State School Officers
Title: CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.3.5 Demonstrate Understanding Of Figurative Language, Word Relationships... Language - 3rd Grade English Language Arts Common Core State Standards
Publisher: National Governors Association Center for Best Practices, Council of Chief State School Officers, Washington D.C.
Copyright Date: 2010
(Page last edited 10/08/2017)
- A Feast of Words on a Planet Called Earth and Beyond - Unit Plan; demonstrates the use of idioms and fiction; read poems that focus on a simple topic; research about other planets. exhibits careful diction.
- Comparing a Story to a Play - Online lesson with visuals.
- Context Clues Jeopardy Game - Play this game and figure out the words by reading the sentences.
- Context Clues Millionaire Game - Choose the correct work to replace the underlined word in each sentence.
- Guessing Vocabulary in Context - Read the sentence, choose the answer, and get your score instantly!
- Line Breaker - The Line Break Explorer engages children in exploring a poem (shown at left) and hypothesizing about why lines are broken where they are in poetry. Students then experiment with line breaks and how they affect rhythm, sound, meaning, appearance, and can substitute for punctuation in poetry.
- Narrative Elements - Read these pages and click on the correct answers to the questions.
- Put on a Play! - Many scripts to select from to print and engage your students.
- Speaking and Listening Rubric - Nice poster to help remind students of speaking skills and listening skills.
- Story Planning - Interactive Game online; plan out the story using the corrct story elements. First part suitable for 2nd grade, rest of game suitable for 3rd grade.
- Using Audacity - Directions for using this program to record audio stories.
- Web2.0 Tools for Recording Audio - Websites and links for instruction are included on this page.