CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.4.5 - Demonstrate understanding of figurative language, word relationships, and nuances in word meanings.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.4.5.a - Explain the meaning of simple similes and metaphors (e.g., as pretty as a picture) in context.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.4.5.b - Recognize and explain the meaning of common idioms, adages, and proverbs.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.4.5.c - Demonstrate understanding of words by relating them to their opposites (antonyms) and to words with similar but not identical meanings (synonyms).
Authors: National Governors Association Center for Best Practices, Council of Chief State School Officers
Title: CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.4.5 Demonstrate Understanding Of Figurative Language, Word Relationships,... Language - 4th Grade English Language Arts Common Core State Standards
Publisher: National Governors Association Center for Best Practices, Council of Chief State School Officers, Washington D.C.
Copyright Date: 2010
(Page last edited 10/08/2017)
- Elements of Poetry - A poem may or may not have a story, but definitely has a structured method of writing.
- Fling the Teacher - Build a trebuchet by answering 15 questions correctly.
- Give That Character a Voice with Voki! - This lesson fuses fictional literature with technology through a project-based experience. Students will use the free online resource Voki to bring a fictional character to "life" and deepen their understanding notion of character, character traits, and the importance of character development within stories
- Idioms - Select your choices of parameters and play!
- Jeopardy Game on similies and metaphors - You can play with the whole class divided into teams.
- News Broadcast for Kids - News Broadcast activity; can be done at home or school.
- Proverbs - Many games to select from on this site.
- Speech Tips - Use these tips for planning out a speech and delivering it to the intended audience.
- The Poet's Toolbox - Lesson plan, helps students learn to identify and analyze the structural elements of poetry.
- Using Audacity - Directions for using this program to record audio stories.
- Voki - Ideas on how to use this digital tool in the classroom
- Web2.0 Tools for Recording Audio - Websites and links for instruction are included on this page.