Close Reading - Common Core Links, Resources and Activities for Middle/High School
Links verified on 9/11/2015
- Close Reading with "The Night I Won the Right to the Streets of Memphis" by Richard Wright. - 7th grade video lesson with class discussion on student questions.
- Close Read Complex Text, and Annotate with Diigo- article with anchors included sharing strategies for reading complex text.
- Close reading bookmarks - Each step of the process is stated with detailed information and strategies to help readers.
- Close Reading Non-Fiction - The teacher uses text-dependent questions, annotation, and student discussions to foster their thinking and understanding.
- How to Do a Close Reading - Dr. McClennen's Close Reading Guide; detailed explanation on how to do Close Reading.
- Guide for How to Do a Close Reading - Slideshow; Explanation and illustrations on how to do a close reading.
- Close Reading Guide - Visual Illustration of how to teach close reading.
- Nonfiction Reading Resources - Passages with questions for grades 2-10th. Skill-Focused readings with multiple choice questions to exercise specific skills.
- Reading Jigsaw - Video showing how to set up class in jigsaw style for close reading.
- Selective Highlighting: Reading with a Purpose - Identify textual evidence to answer guiding questions
- Teaching Annotation - a 6th grade teacher provides her students an opportunity to closely read a text while annotating.