Close Reading - Common Core Links, Resources and Activities for Upper Elementary
Links verified on 9/11/2015
- Components of Close Reading - Watch the video below discussing Close Reading- Meg Smith - Grade 5
- Lesson Plan - Close Reading in the 4th grade - Close Reading in Fourth Grade using the T level text. Etched in Clay: The Life of Dave, Enslaved Potter and Poet written and illustrated by Andrea Cheng.
- Close Reading Guide - Visual Illustration of how to teach close reading.
- Close Reading with Helen Keller - Lesson plan; People Who Made a Difference.
- How Do Readers Know When to Stop and Jot? - Anchor Chart discussing when it is appropriate to jot down notes while doing close reading.
- How to Embed Close Reading in a Reading Lesson - A format for mini-lessons comparing and contrasting story elements.
- Investigating Nonfiction - Article for educator: What is close reading? Close reading is a scaffolding methodology designed to help students of all levels of ability understand complex text
- Media Literacy and Close Reading: A Common Medium for the Common Core - Article for educator - The most effective literacy instruction integrates reading, writing, listening, and speaking skills. Literate students are independent learners who take control of their own learning
- Nonfiction Reading Resources - Passages with questions for grades 2-10th. Skill-Focused readings with multiple choice questions to exercise specific skills.
- Reading Graphic Organizers - Various graphic organizers and printables you can use along with your reading selections.
- Thinking Notes - A short video that discusses short cuts for taking notes while close reading.
- Using THIEVES to Preview Nonfiction Texts - lesson plan for grades 6-8