CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.8.6 - Acquire and use accurately grade-appropriate general academic and domain-specific words and phrases; gather vocabulary knowledge when considering a word or phrase important to comprehension or expression.
Authors: National Governors Association Center for Best Practices, Council of Chief State School Officers
Title: CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.8.6 Acquire And Use Accurately Grade-appropriate General Academic... Language - 8th Grade English Language Arts Common Core State Standards
Publisher: National Governors Association Center for Best Practices, Council of Chief State School Officers, Washington D.C.
Copyright Date: 2010
(Page last edited 10/08/2017)
- Academic Vocabulary - Ten subjects to select from
- Author's Purpose and Point of View - Post test - answers on next web page
- Complete sentence using correct vocabulary word - Select easy, medium or hard
- Homographs - A two person Quia quiz
- Interactive Vocabulary Builders for Test Prep - A collection of resources at Internet4Classrooms
- Multiple Meaning Words - Long list of words to use as writing prompts, students write two sentences for each word using the word as a noun and then as a verb
- Multiple Meaning Zig Zags activity 1 - Draw lines connecting each multiple meaning word to two descriptions [.doc format ]
- Multiple Meaning Zig Zags activity 2 - Draw lines connecting each multiple meaning word to two descriptions [.doc format ]
- Multiple Meanings Game - Lesson plan from Education World, print pairs of cards and have students search for the student matching their word, 6th to 8th grade word list included
- Ordering the Phrases - Excellent interactive quiz; learn about the different stages of a presentation and to learn some phrases that tell your audience where you are in your presentation.
- Organized Speech Writing: Speech Structure - Seven part video lesson
- Patterns of Organization and Their Clue Words - Handout for students [from the Internet Archive]
- Planning, Writing, and Completing Oral Presentations - Quiz with 30 multiple choice questions and 5 essay questions
- Point of View Exercise - Worksheet; read the passages and answer the questions.
- Principles of Organization - Scroll to middle of page to get to this section; four broad principles
- Purpose and Point of View - Choose the correct answer for each question. self checking.
- Techniques for Writing: Using Specific Language - Strike a balance between specific and general language. Interactive exercise.
- The Big Bad Wolf: Analyzing Point of View in Texts - Lesson plan helps students look at the author's purpose and viewpoint, and also recognize gaps in the text - Extension activities include debating a fairy tale using different character viewpoints.
- Using Context Clues - This section will help you review and strengthen your knowledge of using context clues. The 30 exercises are grouped into beginner, intermediate, and advanced levels. Determine your level of knowledge and then select an exercise from the lists at the site.
- Vocabulary - Complete each sentence using the correct word
- Vocabulary Review - Many activities; answer key given at bottom of page
- Vocabulary Worksheets for Test Prep - A collection of resources at Internet4Classrooms
- Ways to Make Communication Sparkle - We can sparkle in conversations, walking down the street or even ordering fries at McDonald's.
- Word Parts - This section will help you review and strengthen your knowledge of root words, prefixes, and suffixes. For each topic, exercises are grouped into beginner, intermediate, and advanced levels. Determine your level of knowledge and then select an exercise from the lists below. The 87 exercises are grouped into beginner, intermediate, and advanced levels.