Main Idea - CCSS RL.7.2
Links verified on 3/19/2017
- Get the Idea - instruction followed by practice
- Hamburger Game - click and drag the main idea onto the hamburger bun
- Identify the Main Idea - Read the paragraphs and select the main idea for each of the 4 questions. [This expired link is available through the Wayback Machine Internet Archive. If the page doesn't load quickly click on Impatient? at the bottom right of the page.]
- Identify the Main Idea - Read the paragraphs and select the main idea for each of the 6 questions. [This expired link is available through the Wayback Machine Internet Archive. If the page doesn't load quickly click on Impatient? at the bottom right of the page.]
- Introduction to Reading Skills - [2:02] identify main idea and supporting details from YouTube
- Main Idea - [somewhat lower level] students read the story in a cloud and then strike the tree with the main idea
- Main Idea - [4:32] video segment from Brain Pop which gives students a chance to practice finding the main idea of a paragraph; a link to a quiz follows the video
- Main Idea and Details - [2:39] YouTube video
- Main Idea Quiz - Quia quiz - (6th Grade Level) Read the story and find the main idea of the paragraph. 40 questions total, practice several questions at a time.
- Main Idea Videos - index of main idea videos from WatchKnowLearn
- Main Idea Worksheets - [Don't click on the grade level; that's an ad] 20 worksheets to print
- Main Idea Worksheets - index of worksheets and answers from E Reading
- Main Idea and Supporting Detail - Quia quiz - Choose the main idea of the paragraphs. Remember to make sure the main idea covers the entire paragraph, not just one sentence.
- Reading Detective - Quia quiz - Read each paragraph carefully and decide what it is mostly about.
- Parts of a Newspaper - three activities
- Strategies for Better Reading - When you summarize, eliminate unnecessary details. Focus on the main idea of the whole passage.
- Understanding What You Read - Help Carson read and understand his book in this interactive tutorial and quiz.
- What's the Main Idea - a quiz from Soft Schools
site for teachers | PowerPoint show | Acrobat document | Word document | whiteboard resource | sound | video format | interactive lesson | a quiz | lesson plan | to print