Figurative Language - CCSS RL.8.4
Links verified on 6/17/2014
- Exercises and Games
- Bud, Not Buddy - Quia activities on similes & metaphors - Matching | Flashcards | Concentration Word Search
- Choose Your Game - Pick a game format that you would like to play (Matching Pairs, Wordshoot, Flashcards, Manic Miner, CannonBall Fun). For each game, choose the literal meaning for the figurative language presented.
- Do You Know Your Metaphors? - Drag the words in the column on the right to the words in the column on the left to make a metaphor.
- Do You Know Your Similes? - Drag the words in the column on the right to the words in the column on the left to make a simile. (Refresh the page to get a new set.)
- Eye on Idioms - 7 different activities, but after each activity the answers must be printed off and/or written down so that you can keep track
- Figurative Language - Learn the terms and definitions associated with figurative language with these flashcards, games and practice tests fromquizlet.com.
- Grade or No Grade - An eclassroom game with 20 possible questions. Answer the question correctly to determine your grade.
- Idioms - Look at the phrase and select the answer that best describes what it means.
- Literary Devices - Variety of activities on Similes, Metaphors, Personification, Slang/Dialect and Allusions. - Matching | Concentration | Flashcards
- Literary Terms - 23 short-answer questions with hints are available. (Internet Explorer)
- Metaphor Battleship - Quia activity using the Battleship game format.
- Practicing onomatopoeia, alliteration, rhyme, simile and metaphor - Word Play 1 | Word Play 2 | Word Play 3 | Word Play 4 | Word Play 5 | Word Play 6 (Internet Explorer)
- Simile, Metaphor, or Personification? - Read the sentence, then decide if it is a simile, metaphor, or personification.
- Similes and Metaphors - Identify the comparison in each sentence as either a simile or a metaphor.
- Practice Quizzes and Tests
- Figurative Language Quiz - Make sure speakers are on since the quiz questions are read aloud, or mute the sound. 30 multiple-choice questions that are scored instantly at the end.
- Figurative Language Quiz Quiz - Questions on alliteration, similes and metaphors, personification, connotation and imagery.
- Figurative Language Skills Test - (Not Interactive) 14 multiple-choice questions. Keep track of answers on a sheet of paper and then click on "Answers" to see if you were correct.
- Literary Terms Quiz - A quiz on 40 useful literary terms.
- Literary Terms Quiz - 26 multiple choice questions from Quia.
- Literary Terms Quiz - Practice literary terms with these seven multiple-choice questions.
- Metaphor Quiz - A five-question quiz from Quia.
- Metaphor Quiz - A ten-question quiz from Quia.