Author's Purpose - CCSS RL.5.1, RL.5.2
Links verified on 1/26/2016
- Activity on Author's Purpose - (4th grade) This section includes a variety of activities designed to help you determine the author's purpose. Follow the directions on each screen and complete the activities.
- Audience and Purpose - Read a passage and answer ten multiple choice questions on the purpose of the passage. [This expired link is available through the Wayback Machine Internet Archive. If the page doesn't load quickly click on Impatient? at the bottom right of the page.]
- Author's Purpose - [designed for grade 2] Lesson and practice. Determine why the author wrote each paragraph. [designed for grade 3]
- Author's Purpose - [designed for grade 4] Read paragraphs and identify author's purpose.
- Author's Purpose - [designed for grade 4] Identify the author's purpose of each piece; then, support your answer with evidence from the piece.
- Author's Purpose - Online quiz, includes self checking.
- Author's Purpose - Read a passage and answer fifteen multiple choice questions to determine the author's purpose. [This expired link is available through the Wayback Machine Internet Archive. If the page doesn't load quickly click on Impatient? at the bottom right of the page.]
- Author's Purpose Battleship - Sink your opponent's ships by answering questions correctly.
- Author's Purpose Game - [for 1 or 2 players] Try to figure out why the author wrote each passage: to inform, to entertain, or to persuade.
- Author's Purpose Jeopardy Template - select the number of teams first: up to 12 teams
- Author's Purpose Popup Game - choose the correct answer from a list of choices
- Author's Purpose Video - [1:16] short video on identifying author's purpose
- Different Text Types - [game] Learn about the different text types (persuasion, informative, descriptive, or instructive) with this game.
- Different Types of Text - Understand the purpose of different text types. Level 3 quiz
- Fling the Teacher - [15 questions] author's purpose quiz
- Game - Author's Purpose - Matching game. Determine if the author's purpose is to inform, entertain or persuade.
- Instant Jeopardy Review - Instant Jeopardy Review is designed for live play with up to ten individuals or teams. Teams choose a question, then try to give the best answer.
- Super Shooter Basketball Review Game - answer a question about author's purpose and then take a shot at the basket
- Types of Text - quiz, entry 1 & 2
- Types of Text - quiz, level 1, more advanced