New Netherland and Maryland
(Period: Early America)
For a brief synopsis of the history of this time and period: Click Here.
Historical synopsis courtesy of A Hypertext on American History from the colonial period until Modern Times by Department of Humanities Computing, University of Groningen, The Netherlands and the former United States Information Agency (1953-1999).
- Manhattan was purchased from Indians for $24 and renamed New Amsterdam.
- Maryland's first legislature met in 1635.
- Settlement began on the island of Manhattan (of present day New York City) in the 1620s.
- Henry Hudson - English explorer of the New York City area after whom the Hudson river is named
- Iroquois Indians - a group of tribes that were heavily involved in the fur trade.