Visit the library/media center as a source of information for research. 0301.4.4
Links verified on 11/11/2018
- A Case for Reading - Examining Challenged and Banned Books - introduces students to censorship and how challenges to books occur then invites them to read a challenged or banned book and decide for themselves what should be done with this book at their school by writing a persuasive essay explaining their perspectives
- How to Use the Library - students decide which library resources are most helpful in the assignment scenarios the teacher describes.
- Huey and Louie meet Dewey - students exercise their library shelving skills
- Library Media resources - lesson plan explaining a variety of reference materials and a practice quiz [This expired link is available through the Wayback Machine Internet Archive.]
- My Favorite Author - WebQuest - design a web page which contains everything that anyone would ever want to know about the author and his/her works
- Research Building Blocks: Examining Electronic Sources - lesson plan; students will examine and rate the relevance of electronic sources, not only learning another part of the research process but also experiencing it first hand.
- Research Building Blocks: Skim, Scan, and Scroll - students will read informational text, looking for supporting details.
- Research Roadmap - an interactive online tutorial for students wanting an introduction to research skills on using the library
- STAR Search: How Do I Find the Book I Need? -steps an intermediate learner goes through in locating resources in the library for information gathering.
- Story Place - The Children's Digital Library - Visit the preschool library and the elementary library.
- Third grade Library Lesson Plans - many plans on how to use the library, including Dewey Decimal System [This expired link is available through the Wayback Machine Internet Archive.]
- Visit the Library - suggestions from Personal Development for Smart People
site for teachers | PowerPoint show | Acrobat document | Word document | whiteboard resource | sound | video format | interactive lesson | a quiz | lesson plan | to print