Interactive Vocabulary Builders
Links verified 11/19/2018
- Adding to Root Words - [Skillwise worksheet] Build your own words, adding prefixes and suffixes to the root words.
- Building on Root Words - [Skillwise worksheet] How to use prefixes and suffixes with root words.
- Business English Vocabulary Exercises - Select a topic from the long list on the left
- Choosing Suffixes for Root Words - [Skillwise worksheet] Exercise in choosing suffixes for root words.
- Online Vocabulary Exercises - links to twenty-nine vocabulary building exercises; matching, multiple choice, and gap-fill activities [This expired page comes from the Internet Archive known as the Wayback Machine.]
- Finding New Ways to Say Something - practice your alphabetizing skills, learn about synonyms and pick the right one to finish a sentence, and match words to their entries in a thesaurus
- Flash Analogy Set - set 1 - Mr. Anker's analogy practice quiz | set 2 | set 3 | set 4 | set 5 | set 6 | set 7 | set 8 | set 9 | set 10 | set 11 | set 12 | set 13 | set 14 |
- Growing From Root Words - [Skillwise worksheet] How to find a root word and 'growing' new words from root words.
- Homophones Game - [Skillwise game] Can you match the words that sound the same, but are spelt differently and have different meanings?
- One-minute Video on Root Words - Why learn about root words?
- The Reading Matrix - list of links to places on the web where you can find vocabulary building exercises
- Root Words - [Skillwise factsheet] Summary of what root words are and why they are helpful.
- Root Words - [Skillwise quiz] entry level quiz
- Root Words - [Skillwise quiz] level one quiz
- SAT Analogy Questions - five multiple choice questions [This expired link is available through the Wayback Machine Internet Archive. If the page doesn't load quickly click on Impatient? at the bottom right of the page.]
- Synonyms and Antonyms - [1:28] Poet Stephen Coleman explains the uses of synonyms and antonyms.
- Synonym Matching - [3rd grade and above] Find pairs or words with same meaning
- Taking Away the Prefix to Find the Root Word - [Skillwise worksheet] Exercise in finding the root word by removing the prefix.
- Taking Away the Suffix to Find the Root Word - [Skillwise worksheet] Exercise in finding the root word by removing the suffix
- Reading Skills - Powerpoint presentation for all sorts of categories.
- Using Root Words to Make New Words - [Skillwise worksheet] How to use root words to make new words.
- What's a Thesaurus - [3:09] To avoid using the same word over and over in a letter, TV411's Dictionary Wizards consult a thesaurus.
- Word Relationships - Use the drop down menu to the right of each word to select your answer.
- Words That Sound the Same - [Skillwise worksheet] Exercise in using homophones to write sentences
site for teachers | PowerPoint show | Acrobat document | Word document | whiteboard resource | sound | video format | interactive lesson | a quiz | lesson plan | to print