Select appropriate time-order or transitional words/phrases to enhance the flow of a writing sample. SPI 0601.3.8
Links verified on 6/5/2014
- A chart of the transitional devices - also called conjunctive adverbs or adverbial conjunctions
- Making an Argument: Effective use of Transition Words - "explore and understand the use of transition words in context and write their own persuasive essay using transition words"
- Transitional Devices - transitional guides are connectives (symbols,words, phrases; sometimes whole sentences and paragraphs) that make possible a smooth "passing over" from one idea to the next.
- Transitional Devices (Connecting Words) - Brought to you by the Purdue University Online Writing Lab
- Transitions and Patterns of Organization - explanation of six common types [This expired page is from the Internet Archive known as the Wayback Machine.]
- Transitions and Transitional Devices - a discussion of transition strategies and specific transitional devices.
- Transition Words - Use the transitions at the right in the sentences at the left.
- Transitional Words Worksheets - These transitional words worksheets are for students at the beginner, intermediate and advanced level.
- Transitional Words and Phrases - Read the following essay by Raquel Cruz and circle or highlight the transitional expressions.
site for teachers | PowerPoint show | Acrobat document | Word document | whiteboard resource | sound | video format | interactive lesson | a quiz | lesson plan | to print