Identify the sentence irrelevant to a paragraph's theme or flow. SPI 0501.3.4
Links verified on 2/4/2012
- Determining Relevancy - help students understand the practice and value of evaluating information for relevancy to their research question
- Highlighting Relevant Information - teach students how to find and highlight the relevant information that answers their research question
- How to Edit or Proofread an Essay or Paper - article with suggestions
- How to Use Word Choice That Catches the Reader's Eye - article with suggestions
- Identify the Topic Sentence and Information that Does not Belong - print the page and follow directions [This expired link is available through the Wayback Machine Internet Archive. If the page doesn't load quickly click on Impatient? at the bottom right of the page.]
- Information Elimination (designed for grades 6-8) model, instruct, and practice narrowing a topic for expository writing.
- Irrelevance Quiz - select the sentences that are irrelevant.
- Logical Fallacies - article with examples - Fallacies can be either illegitimate arguments or irrelevant points, and are often identified because they lack evidence that supports their claim
- Organizing and Linking Your Ideas - lab activity to practice organizing and linking ideas
- Paragraph Unity Worksheet - Cross out the irrelevant sentences and put the numbers of those in the spaces provided.
- Practice Exercises - this six page document to print includes a number of exercises; one of them asks students to select eight irrelevant sentences from a paragraph
- Reading Skills Practice - identify the irrelevant sentence
- Reading Skills Practice - identify the topic sentence
- Relevant vs Irrelevant Details - [designed for grade 4] lesson plan with links to related documents
- Staying On Topic - [designed for grade 6] identify sentences that do not belong
- Straying off the point - Identify which sentences are not connected to the main focus of the paragraph.
- Troubleshooting Sentences - examples and ideas
site for teachers | PowerPoint show | Acrobat document | Word document | whiteboard resource | sound | video format | interactive lesson | a quiz | lesson plan | to print