3rd Grade - Unfamiliar Words
Use a variety of previously learned strategies (e.g., roots and affixes, context, reference resources) to determine the meanings of unfamiliar words. 0301.1.20
Links verified on 10/16/2011
- Context Clues 2 - select correct meaning of the word from context clues
- Crystal Castle - Prefixes hold the key to building the castle and making it light up.
- Dinosaur Root Word Activity - Learn about Dinosaurs and root words together.
- Flamingo - Form a flock of flamingos with suffixes -y and -ly.
- Jelly Fish Game - Type the root, suffix and or prefix to fill the sea with Jellyfish.
- Prefixes Make New Words - Drag and drop the prefixes to complete the words correctly.
- Prefix Mix - working with "Pre" and "Post," prefixes with opposite meanings.
- Prefixes Say Plenty - select word that best completes the sentences.
- Prefixes, Suffixes and Root Word - worksheets and online activities
- Putting Down Roots - Drag and drop the roots into the blanks to complete the words.
- Putting Down Roots (2) - Drag and drop the roots into the blanks to complete the words.
- Putting Your Roots into Action - Now that you know five new roots, start looking for them in unfamiliar words.
- Putting Your Roots into Action (2) - Now that you know five more new roots, start looking for them in unfamiliar words.
- Root Words - Underline the root words in the slides. Circle the prefix or suffix.
- Rooting Out Words - Help Remainder the Dog gather enough mushrooms to sell at the market by uncovering the roots of words. (three categories, several difficulty levels - from FunBrain)
- Root Word Quiz - first level quiz
- Root Word Quiz - more advanced level quiz
- Root Word Quiz - match words with their roots
- Root word quiz - match word with its root
- Root Words - Fact Sheet to share with students
- Suffixes Make New Words - Drag and drop the suffix to the correct root word to make a new word.
- Suffixes Say a Lot - pick the best definition of the capitalized word
- Success with Suffixes - fill in the blanks with words ending in "er."
- Suffix Matching Game - interactive quiz
- Suffix-ly - use simple strategies to determine meaning and increase vocabulary for reading, including the use of suffixes.
- Using Prefixes - interactive lesson and quiz
- Using Suffixes - interactive lesson and quiz
- What's a Root? - (work with five roots) Once you know a few roots, you'll see them everywhere.
- What's a Root? (2) - work with five more roots
- Word Meaning - Select correct meaning of the word from context clues.
- Word Parts: Roots, Prefixes and Suffixes - This section will help you review and strengthen your knowledge of root words, prefixes, and suffixes. For each topic, 30 exercises are grouped into beginner, intermediate, and advanced levels. Determine your level of knowledge and then select an exercise from the lists at the site
- Word Works - select the prefix or suffix to add to base word.
- Using Context Clues Activities - a collection of resources at Internet4Classrooms
- Using Context Clues - This section will help you review and strengthen your knowledge of using context clues. The 30 exercises are grouped into beginner, intermediate, and advanced levels. Determine your level of knowledge and then select an exercise from the lists at the site.
site for teachers |
PowerPoint show |
Acrobat document |
Word document |
whiteboard resource |
video format |
interactive lesson |
a quiz |
lesson plan |
Internet4classrooms is a collaborative effort by
Susan Brooks and Bill Byles.