6th Grade Reading Skills
Prior Standards Implementation
The standards listed below have been replaced by a newer set of standards.
Please go to Current 6th Grade Language Arts Standards for current resources.
- Fish Tanks - Fill a tank with tropical fish using prefixes, roots, and suffixes.
- Prefix Mix - working with "Pre" and "Post," prefixes with opposite meanings
- Prefixes Make New Words - drag prefixes to complete sentences correctly
- Prefixes Say Plenty - choose the word that best completes the sentence
- Putting Down Roots - drag roots into blanks to complete sentences
- Putting Down Roots (2) - drag roots into blanks to complete sentences
- Putting Your Roots into Action - look for roots in unfamiliar words
- Putting Your Roots into Action (2) - look for roots in unfamiliar words
- Root Words - underline root words - circle the prefix or suffix
- Rooting Out Words - Help Remainder the Dog gather enough mushrooms to sell at the market by uncovering the roots of words. (three categories, several difficulty levels - from FunBrain)
- Space Station - Divide words in blue into syllables and type the words into the box with a '-' between the syllables. [example: fi-nal]
- Suffixes Say a Lot - pick the best definition of the capitalized word
- Success with Suffixes - fill in the blanks with words ending in "er."
- Suffixes Make New Words - drag suffix to the correct root word
- What's a Root ? - work with five roots
- What's a Root ? (2) - work with five more roots
- Captions Help Tell the Story - students look at three pictures and try to determine which caption fits best
- Read All About It! - use newspaper sections to predict where types of stories would be found
- Reading Headlines - read eight headlines and try to determine what the article is about
- Take Notes - evaluate what items should be included in the opening paragraph of a news story
- An Overview of Poetry - a comprehensive show on the topic of rhythm and rhyme
Analyze the effects of sound in context (e.g., alliteration, onomatopoeia, accent, rhyme, and repetition.
- A concept map to use when you work with your students on these topics.
- Poetic Devices - a classroom sign about the forms of poetic devices
- Practicing onomatopoeia, alliteration, rhyme, simile and metaphor
- Wizards and Pigs: Episode I Poetry Pickle - students identify rhyme, rhythm, and alliteration
Released tests FCAT Sample Test Book
- The FCAT Sample Test Books are designed to help students become familiar with FCAT (Florida) by providing helpful hints and offering practice answering questions in different formats. Half of this document is math and half is reading.
site for teachers | PowerPoint show | Acrobat document | Word document | whiteboard resource | sound | video format | interactive lesson | a quiz | lesson plan | to print