Solve problems involving rate/time/distance (i.e., d = rt).SPI 0806.1.1
Links verified on 11/12/2016
- Distance = Rate X Time - Click on New Problem and continue to click next step to see how to solve the problem. The next time through try to determine what the next step would be before you click on the next step button.
- Distance-Rate-Time, Conversions, and Bullfighting - [NCCTM lesson plan] use the distance equation to make calculations, as well as use proportions to make conversions [This expired link is available through the Wayback Machine Internet Archive. If the page doesn't load quickly click on Impatient? at the bottom right of the page.]
- Distance, Rate, and Time - explanation with several examples from Ask Dr. Math
- Distance Rate and Time Word Problems - [4 page document] Ten DRT word problems on two pages to print for your students - answers are on pages 3 and 4
- Distance Word Problems - two pages of explanation and examples from Purple Math
- Fly By Math - Distance-Rate-Time Problems in Air Traffic Control designed for grades 5-9 - five separate problems each with associated handouts and videos and
- Line Up With Math - Math based decisions in Air Traffic Control designed for grades 5-9 - This site has an overview, an interactive air traffic simulator and six problems and
- Practice Problems - Try a workout of 10 problems. If you don't get at least 8 correct on your first attempt, review "In Depth" and try again.
- Problem Solving: Distance, Rate, Time - This page contains an interactive applet to help students better understand the link between the visual and graphical approaches to the time, rate, distance problem and its algebraic solution.
- Rate and Average Rate of Speed - explanation and examples
- Ratios and Proportions - Distance, rate and time - (This is a 3 step lesson followed by a workout.)
- Significant Figures Calculator - one of many calculators available from Omni Calculator
- Speed - [from Omni Calculator] shows the relationship between speed, distance and time
- Understanding Distance, Speed, and Time Relationships Using Simulation Software - a software simulation of two runners along a track - Students can control the speeds and starting points of the runners, watch the race, and examine a graph of the time-versus-distance relationship. [This expired link is available through the Wayback Machine Internet Archive. If the page doesn't load quickly click on Impatient? at the bottom right of the page.]
- Vehicle Stopping Distance And Time - use data to reach conclusions - use their Vehicle Stopping Distance Calculator to do actual model calculations
- Word Problems: Distance (d = rt) - explanation with diagrams and a table followed by two practice problems with hints available and two multiple choice problems and
site for teachers | PowerPoint show | Acrobat document | Word document | whiteboard resource | sound | video format | interactive lesson | a quiz | lesson plan | to print