3rd Grade - Prefixes & Suffixes
Determine word meanings using prefixes and suffixes and/or context clues. SPI 0301.1.16
Links verified on 12/23/2014
- Crystal Castle - Prefixes hold the key to building the castle and making it light up.
- Jelly Fish Game - Type the root, suffix and or prefix to fill the sea with Jellyfish.
- Flamingo - Form a flock of flamingos with suffixes -y and -ly.
- Prefixes Make New Words - Drag and drop the prefixes to complete the words correctly.
- Prefix Mix - working with "Pre" and "Post," prefixes with opposite meanings.
- Prefixes Say Plenty - select word that best completes the sentences.
- Root Words - Underline the root words in the slides. Circle the prefix or suffix.
- Rooting Out Words - Help Remainder the Dog gather enough mushrooms to sell at the market by uncovering the roots of words. (three categories, several difficulty levels - from FunBrain)
- Suffix-ly - use simple strategies to determine meaning and increase vocabulary for reading, including the use of suffixes.
- Suffixes Make New Words - Drag and drop the suffix to the correct root word to make a new word.
- Suffixes Say a Lot - pick the best definition of the capitalized word
- Success with Suffixes - fill in the blanks with words ending in "er."
- Suffix Matching Game - interactive quiz
- Word Parts: Roots, Prefixes and Suffixes - This section will help you review and strengthen your knowledge of root words, prefixes, and suffixes. For each topic, 30 exercises are grouped into beginner, intermediate, and advanced levels. Determine your level of knowledge and then select an exercise from the lists at the site
- Word Works - select the prefix or suffix to add to base word.
- Use Context Clues Activities - a collection of resources at Internet4Classrooms
- Using Context Clues - This section will help you review and strengthen your knowledge of using context clues. The 30 exercises are grouped into beginner, intermediate, and advanced levels. Determine your level of knowledge and then select an exercise from the lists at the site.
- Using Prefixes - interactive lesson and quiz
- Using Suffixes - interactive lesson and quiz
site for teachers |
PowerPoint show |
Acrobat document |
Word document |
whiteboard resource |
video format |
interactive lesson |
a quiz |
lesson plan |
Internet4classrooms is a collaborative effort by
Susan Brooks and Bill Byles.