Make inferences and draw conclusions from text. SPI 0501.5.6
Links verified on 3/5/2012
- Artifact Bags: Teaching Students to Make Inferences - lesson plan designed for grades 3-4, could be adapted for grade 5
- Author Study: Improving Reading Comprehension Using Inference and Comparison - students review several texts by one illustrator/author and practice making inferences about that author, which they check against the author's biography.
- Classroom Reading Key Vocabulary Building Program - [126 pages] a reading vocabulary improvement program that has identified the specific reading words students need to master for each grade
- Cows context clue - build corrals for cows by reading and answering questions
- Drawing Conclusions - [designed for grade 3] Read the story and choose the correct word to complete the sentence.
- Drawing Inferences - how to be a critical reader
- Fifth Grade Reading - Read the introduction and the passage that follows. Then read each question and mark the circle next to the correct answer. [This expired link is available through the Wayback Machine Internet Archive. If the page doesn't load quickly click on Impatient? at the bottom right of the page.]
- Historical Fiction: Using Literature to Learn About the Civil War - teach the characteristics of historical fiction, inferencing, visualization, and Civil War history using an American Girls Collection book.
- How are They Selling It? - students read three advertisements and evaluate the type of persuasive writing being employed
- Inference Battleship - interactive game with questions
- Inference Notes - This tool is specifically designed to help students analyze a fictional character by finding and interpreting quotes by or about a character.
- Inference Riddle Game - guess using riddles - infer what is being described by the clues you read
- Looking for the Fine Print - students read advertisements to practice reading critically
- Making Inferences - [designed for grade 4] online story and quiz
- Making Inferences and Drawing Conclusions - descriptions of the various ways to aid you in reaching a conclusion
- Making inferences lesson - [designed for grade 4] lesson followed by quiz
- Practicing reading comprehension skills - Bees | The Happy Monkey
- Practice Making Inferences - [designed for grade 4] quiz
- Rules of Inference - Lesson discussing the rules of inference.
- Stated Information - online story about elephants and quiz
- Stated Information - online story about dolphins and quiz
- Teaching Students to Make Inferences - examples and specific ways to teach students to infer [This expired link is available through the Wayback Machine Internet Archive. If the page doesn't load quickly click on Impatient? at the bottom right of the page.]
- Using Context Clues - This section will help you review and strengthen your knowledge of using context clues. The 30 exercises are grouped into beginner, intermediate, and advanced levels. Determine your level of knowledge and then select an exercise from the lists at the site.
- What are They Selling - students critically evaluate six advertisements
- What is an Inference - [designed for grade 4] lesson
site for teachers | PowerPoint show | Acrobat document | Word document | whiteboard resource | sound | video format | interactive lesson | a quiz | lesson plan | to print