Know and use basic literary devices (e.g., imagery, metaphor, simile, personification, hyperbole). 0501.8.14
Links verified on 3/28/2012
- A Fun Way to Teach Similes - a lesson idea from Bruce Lansky
- All About Alliteration - (3rd-5th) Responding to Literature Through a Poetry Link - a lesson plan from Read.Write.Think
- Circus Builder - Gather up acts for a three-ring circus by finding matching vowel sounds. Select the word that has the same vowel sound as the given word. (rhyming words)
- Do you know your metaphors? - drag words to make a metaphor
- Do you know your similes? - drag the nouns to complete a Simile (Refresh the page to get a new set.)
- Examples of Alliteration - sound files from movies and political speeches
- Figurative Language Baseball - Batter Up! pick the correct figurative term.
- Figurative Language Quiz - alliteration, similes and metaphors, personification, connotation and imagery
- Idioms - an interactive activity requiring students to type and then print their work
- Idiom - choose a theme and a game option
- Literary Devices Quizzes - similes, metaphors, personification, slang/dialect and allusions - Matching | Concentration | Flashcards
- Metaphor Lists - a selection of metaphors by category, complete with sample usage and interpretation7
- Metaphor Battleship Quiz - Quia quiz using the Battleship game format
- Metaphor Quiz - a five-question quiz at Quia
- Metaphor Quiz - a ten-question quiz at Quia
- Metaphor Quiz to print
- Personifications, Alliterations, Onomatopoeias, Similes, Metaphors, Hyperboles, Oxymorons, Puns - a matching or flash card review game at Quia.
- Poetic Devices - a classroom sign about the forms of poetic devices
- Poetry Terms - Match the terms with the examples recognizing the sounds of language
- Poetry Writing Practice - worksheet on forms of language
- Rags to Riches - Analogies, Alliteration, Onomatopoeia, & Simile - a two person quiz game at Quia.
- Simile, Metaphor, Alliteration, Euphemism, Onomatopoeia - six word play quizzes, each has five examples to categorize Quiz 1 | Quiz 2 | Quiz 3 | Quiz 4 | Quiz 5 | Quiz 6
- Simile lesson with a printable quiz
- Simile, Metaphor or Alliteration? - eight-question multiple-choice quiz
- Similes and Metaphors - Identify the comparison in each sentence as a simile or a metaphor [ignore the email address blank].
- Twenty Six examples of Alliteration - one per letter of the alphabet
- Welcome to Alpine Ski Lodge - For each given word, you will be given a list of three words and asked to select the one with the same vowel sound as the letter pair (in red) in the given word. (rhyming words)
- Wartime Poetry: Working With Similes - analyzes a photograph and brainstorms words to describe the characters' senses and feelings
- Wizards and Pigs: Episode I Poetry Pickle - students identify rhyme, rhythm, and alliteration
site for teachers | PowerPoint show | Acrobat document | Word document | whiteboard resource | sound | video format | interactive lesson | a quiz | lesson plan | to print