Determine the appropriate meaning of figurative words and phrases (e.g., idioms, metaphors, similes) in passages. 0601.8.18
Links verified on 5/9/2017
- A one-page handout giving examples of each poetic device [This expired page is from the Internet Archive known as the Wayback Machine.]
- A Fun Way to Teach Similes - a lesson idea from Bruce Lansky
- Alliteration or Simile? - Choose whether each statement is an alliterative phrase, simile or neither.
- Bud, Not Buddy - quizzes on similes and metaphors Matching | Flashcards | Concentration
- Do you know your metaphors? - drag words to make a metaphor
- Do you know your similes? - drag the nouns to complete a Simile (Refresh the page to get a new set.)
- Figurative Language Activity - Review of terms and quiz with answer key.
- Figurative Language - Examples, passage and question worksheet [This expired link is available through the Wayback Machine Internet Archive. If the page doesn't load quickly click on Impatient? at the bottom right of the page.]
- Figurative Language Quiz - alliteration, similes and metaphors, personification, connotation and imagery
- Figurative Language Worksheets - Can be used with any text; find figurative language in the books they are already reading.
- Idiom Connection - Many,many idioms with online self checking quizzes.
- Idioms - Eye On Idioms - Online activity; good for whole class directed lesson.
- Identifying Figures of Speech - Use this worksheet to record examples of metaphors and similes from a reading selection. [This expired link is available through the Wayback Machine Internet Archive. If the page doesn't load quickly click on Impatient? at the bottom right of the page.]
- Literary Devices Quizzes - similes, metaphors, personification, slang/dialect and allusions - Matching | Concentration | Flashcards
- Metaphor Lists - a selection of metaphors by category, complete with sample usage and interpretation
- Metaphor Battleship Quiz - Quia quiz using the Battleship game format
- Metaphor Quiz - a five-question quiz at Quia
- Metaphor Quiz - a ten-question quiz at Quia
- Metaphor Quiz - to print
- Paint by Idioms - Select the last category "You see an example. Click on the meaning."
- Poetry writing practice web [This expired page is from the Internet Archive known as the Wayback Machine.]
- Simile lesson - with a printable quiz .
- Similes and Metaphors - Identify the comparison in each sentence as a simile or a metaphor [ignore the email address blank].
site for teachers | PowerPoint show | Acrobat document | Word document | whiteboard resource | sound | video format | interactive lesson | a quiz | lesson plan | to print