5th Grade - Determine Word Meaning
Determine word meanings within context. SPI 0501.1.11
Links verified on 9/1/2014
- Adding to Root Words - [Skillwise worksheet] Build your own words, adding prefixes and suffixes to the root words.
- Building on Root Words - [Skillwise worksheet] How to use prefixes and suffixes with root words.
- Choosing Suffixes for Root Words - [Skillwise worksheet] Exercise in choosing suffixes for root words.
- Choosing the Right Ending - [Skillwise factsheet] Information to help you choose the right ending for root words
- Context Clues - multiple-choice quiz
- Greek suffixes and prefixes - meanings
- Greek & Latin Roots Skills - four types of Quia activities
- Growing From Root Words - [Skillwise worksheet] How to find a root word and 'growing' new words from root words.
- Guided Comprehension: Knowing How Words Work Using Semantic Feature Analysis - students learn semantic feature analysis, a strategy that teaches them to identify characteristics associated with related words or concepts
- Homographs (multiple meaning words) - Two definitions are given for the same word. You have to guess which word is being described. (a Quia quiz)
- How Words Work - learning the common roots and prefixes; meanings of prefixes
- Jelly Fish Game - Type the root, suffix and or prefix to fill the sea with Jellyfish.
- Latin and Greek Word Elements - article with examples of common roots
- Multiple Meaning Words - Write or tell two sentences for each word below. Be sure to use the word as a noun in one sentence and as a verb in the other sentence. Click on a word to check your answers.
- One-minute Video on Root Words - Why learn about root words?
- Online Vocabulary Exercises - links to twenty-nine vocabulary building exercises; matching, multiple choice, and gap-fill activities [This expired page comes from the Internet Archive known as the Wayback Machine. If the page doesn't load quickly click on Impatient? at the bottom right of the page.]
- Prefixes and Suffixes - [Skillwise factsheet] Understanding how to find the root of a word and adding prefixes and suffixes to a root word.
- Prefixes Say Plenty - choose the word that best completes the sentence
- Reading Clues - Make logical guesses about the meaning of the unknown words in the following paragraph
- Roots & Prefixes - Test your knowledge of the meanings of latin and greek roots and prefixes! Quiz quiz
- Root Word Quiz - match words with their roots
- Root word quiz - match word with its root
- Root Words - [Skillwise factsheet] Summary of what root words are and why they are helpful.
- Root Words - [Skillwise quiz] entry level quiz
- Root Words - [Skillwise quiz] level one quiz
- Rooting Out Words - Help Remainder the Dog gather enough mushrooms to sell at the market by uncovering the roots of words. (three categories, several difficulty levels - from FunBrain)
- Space Station - Divide words in blue into syllables and type the words into the box with a '-' between the syllables. [example: fi-nal]
- Strategy for Multisyllabic Word Decoding - lesson plan [This expired lesson plan comes from the Internet Archive known as the Wayback Machine. If the page doesn't load quickly click on Impatient? at the bottom right of the page.]
- Suffixes Make New Words - Make new words by adding a suffix to a root word
- Taking Away the Prefix to Find the Root Word - [Skillwise worksheet] Exercise in finding the root word by removing the prefix.
- Taking Away the Suffix to Find the Root Word - [Skillwise worksheet] Exercise in finding the root word by removing the suffix
- Using Context Clues - three matching activities using pull-down lists
- Using Context Clues - This section will help you review and strengthen your knowledge of using context clues. The 30 exercises are grouped into beginner, intermediate, and advanced levels. Determine your level of knowledge and then select an exercise from the lists at the site.
- Using Context Clues Activities - a collection of resources at Internet4Classrooms
- Using Root Words to Make New Words - [Skillwise worksheet] How to use root words to make new words.
- What's a Root? - work with five roots
- What's a Root? (2) - work with five more roots
- What's My Meaning - (four Quia games) match words with meanings Matching | Concentration | Flash Cards | Word Search
- What are Context Clues - lesson with quiz
- Word Formation - many English words come from Latin, which uses prefixes and suffixes [This expired link is available through the Wayback Machine Internet Archive. If the page doesn't load quickly click on Impatient? at the bottom right of the page.]
- Word Jungle - Turn the dial to 5th grade and then click Start. Choose correct meaning of given word to swing in jungle
- Word Parts: Roots, Prefixes and Suffixes - This section will help you review and strengthen your knowledge of root words, prefixes, and suffixes. For each topic, 30 exercises are grouped into beginner, intermediate, and advanced levels. Determine your level of knowledge and then select an exercise from the lists at the site.
- Words with multiple meanings -
put words with multiple meanings into sentences
site for teachers |
PowerPoint show |
Acrobat document |
Word document |
whiteboard resource |
video format |
interactive lesson |
a quiz |
lesson plan |
Internet4classrooms is a collaborative effort by
Susan Brooks and Bill Byles.