Know and use appropriately the meaning, forms, and functions of nouns, verbs, pronouns, adjectives, adverbs, conjunctions, interjections, and prepositions. 0501.1.1
Links verified on 8/26/2014
Nouns and Pronouns
- Irregular Plurals - type the correct plural
- Irregular Plurals - select the correct plural
- Noun Explorer - move through the cave by selecting the correct spelling, or correct abbreviation
- Nouns Away - Abstract or Concrete - identify the types of nouns in this quiz
- Plural and Possessive Nouns - By clicking on a bubble, identify whether the highlighted word is a plural or possessive noun and then click on the "Submit Answer" button. The quiz is at the bottom of this page.
- Plural Forms and Irregular Nouns - select the correct plural form in these sentences.
- Plurals Practice Sheet - PDF worksheet
- Plurals and Possessives - online activity, may be hard for some 4th graders
- Plurals and Nouns - online quiz
- Possessives and Irregular plurals - online quiz
- Power Proofreading - [Nouns] Choose 5th grade then select; Holiday Plans, Pick-and-Pet Farm, Memo to Staff Members, Movie Hits and Misses, or any one of the mixed practice exercises.
- Power Proofreading - [Pronouns] Choose 5th grade then select; The Morning News, Oh Brother, Movie Hits and Misses, or any one of the mixed pronoun practice exercises.
- Practice Using Plural Spelling Rules - [Skillwise worksheet] twelve picture pairs that cover all the different spelling rules
- Pronoun Agreements - 5 interactive varied leveled quizzes
- Pronoun Case - 6 exercises in the practice of this skill, interactive with handouts.
- Using Plural Spelling Rules - [Skillwise worksheet] Plural spelling rules, filling in the gaps with either the singular or plural spelling.
- Using Plurals - [Skillwise factsheet] A few rules to help spell plurals.
- Be - verb usage online quiz
- Complete Verb Phrases - find the complete verb phrases in the sentence
- Helping and Linking Verbs - lesson plans - ideas for many lessons
- Helping and Main Verbs - online lesson, then quiz following lesson [This expired link is available through the Wayback Machine Internet Archive. If the page doesn't load quickly click on Impatient? at the bottom right of the page.]
- Identifying and Classifying Verbs in Context - lesson plan; lesson assists students in identifying and classifying three kinds of verbs - action verbs, state-of-being or linking verbs, and helping verbs
- Irregular Verbs - Jeopardy type game for two players
- Linking Verbs - identify types of verbs in this quiz [This expired link is available through the Wayback Machine Internet Archive. If the page doesn't load quickly click on Impatient? at the bottom right of the page.]
- Irregular verbs - 6 exercises in the practice of this skill, interactive with handouts.
- Linking Verbs Quiz - beware of the many ads
- Power Proofreading - [Verbs] Choose 5th grade then select; Luke's Music Talk, Hillary's Hilarious Comedy Hour, Memo to Stump Humphrey Staff, Evening Weather Report, Olivia and Tutu, or any one of the mixed practice exercises.
- Subject-verb Agreement - 6 exercises in the practice of this skill, interactive with handouts.
- To Be - present and past tense online quiz
- Verb Phrases - find the complete verb phrase
- Verb Power - Students identify underlined words as main verbs, helping verbs or contractions.
- Verb Tenses - identify correct usage of verbs [This expired link is available through the Wayback Machine Internet Archive. If the page doesn't load quickly click on Impatient? at the bottom right of the page.]
Adjectives and Adverbs
- Adjectives/Adverbs - Change adjectives into adverbs in this online quiz.
- Adjectives and Adverbs Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? - Find that adjective or adverb in each sentence. Or, choose which word is not an adjective or adverb. [Quia quiz]
- Adjective or Adverb - what is the difference between adjectives and adverbs?
- Adjective or Adverb - avoiding common errors
- Adjective or Adverb - Basic adjective rules
- Adjective or Adverb - Three rules and how to avoid common errors
- Adjective Review Game - find the adjective or predicate adjective in each sentence
- Adverbs - Lesson on adverbs
- Comparative & Superlative - Click the answer button to see the answer
- Comparative and superlative - worksheet; write the missing adjectives, comparative or superlative words.
- Comparatives - one syllable words - Choose the correct completion for the sentence, self checking.
- Comparative and Superlative Adjectives - quiz
- Comparative and Superlative Forms Quiz - Read the sentences, select the comparative form for each of the adjectives listed and then click on the arrow to check your answer
- Comparisons Quiz - online quiz
- Power Proofreading - [Adjectives] Choose 5th grade then select; Snail Race Sportscast, Ad for G. O. Travel Olympic Replay, or any one of the mixed practice exercises.
- Power Proofreading - [Adverbs] Choose 5th grade then select; The Late, Late Show, Olympic Replay, or any one of the mixed practice exercises.
- Superlative Forms of One Syllable Words - Type the correct superlative for each word.
- Unscramble the Adjectives - rearrange scrambled letters to spell an adjective
- Using Irregular Adjectives - Select the correct word or phrase from the choices provided.
- Using Nouns as Adjectives - Choose the phrase with the correct use of the noun as an adjective. [Quia quiz]
- Walk the Walk Charades - lesson plan; a player walks in the style of an adverb(secretly, gingerly, purposefully) so that teammates can guess the adverb.
Various Parts of Speech
- Conjunctions - click on the buttons to find the correct answer
- Conjunctions - click on the buttons to find the correct answer
- Conjunctions Quiz I - click the answer buttons to see the answers
- Conjunctions Quiz II - Combine the sentences using the conjunction given in parentheses.
- Conjunction-itis Popup - find the correct conjunction form to combine two short sentences together into one
- Grammar Gorillas - identify Parts of Speech- Beginner (nouns and verbs) Advanced ( all parts of speech)
- Grammar Blast - various graded grammar skills activities [choose 5th]
- Parts of Speech - identify the part of speech that will complete the sentence
- Using Commas with Coordinating Conjunctions - Click on "The sentence, please!" and a sentence will appear in the top text-area. Insert the necessary comma or commas (being careful not to insert commas where they aren't necessary).
site for teachers | PowerPoint show | Acrobat document | Word document | whiteboard resource | sound | video format | interactive lesson | a quiz | lesson plan | to print