Prepare a chart to compare how volcanoes, earthquakes, faulting, and plate movements affect the earth's surface features 0507.7.2
Links verified 9/25/2011
- Continental Drift and Plate Tectonics - a 41 slide PowerPoint show with excellent images and animations.
- This Dynamic Earth - The story of Plate Tectonics from the USGS
- Hell's Crust: Our Ever Changing Planet - from the PBS Savage Earth series, several good animations can be found at this site.
- How the Plates Move - a lesson from Volcano World
- Major Tectonic Plates of the World - The earth's surface is broken into seven large and many small moving plates clearly labeled on this map
- Major Types of Plate Boundaries - good illustration from the USGS
- Movement of Seismic Waves - high quality transparency master
- Moving Slabs - simple tectonic plate map from USGS
- Observe animations of processes that occur along plate boundaries (transform, convergent and diverging)
- Plate Tectonics - from a show hosted by WHYY
- Plate Tectonics - the Cause of Earthquakes
- Plate Tectonics map and a description of the three types of boundaries.
- Plate Tectonic Movement Visualizations - index of a large number of resources
- Plate Tectonics Practice Exam - twenty-two multiple-choice questions developed by university students
- Plate Tectonic Puzzle - lesson plan including puzzle pieces to cut out
- Plate Tectonics Quiz - ten multiple-choice questions from Geography4Kids
- Plate Tectonics Quiz - twelve multiple-choice questions, each on a separate page
- Plate Tectonics Quiz - press Start then click on the named part of the drawing - his is hard! or
- Plate Tectonics Quiz - twenty multiple-choice questions from Glencoe Science
- Plate Tectonic Reconstruction Service - In this section you can calculate plate tectonic reconstructions of any age back to 150 My.
- Recent Earthquakes: Last 8 to 30 days - from USGS
- Science Odyssey: You Try It: Plate Tectonics - A hands-on exercise about plate tectonics and earthquakes from PBS. (requires Shockwave plug-in) or
- Seismic Waves - This real-time 3D application allows users to create seismic waves of any magnitude and pass them through a variety of terrains. The student can view the seismic activity in the terrain through both a textured and wire frame view.
- Subduction - the birth place of a volcanic mountain range [good animation]
- Teaching about Earthquakes and Plate Tectonics - plan for a virtual journey to the earth's center
- Tectonic Plates - high quality transparency master
- Underground Igneous Rock Formations - high quality transparency master
site for teachers | PowerPoint show | Acrobat document | Word document | whiteboard resource | sound | video format | interactive lesson | a quiz | lesson plan | to print