CCSS.Math.Content.5.G.B.4 - Classify two-dimensional figures in a hierarchy based on properties.
Authors: National Governors Association Center for Best Practices, Council of Chief State School Officers
Title: CCSS.Math.Content.5.G.B.4 Classify Two-dimensional Figures In A Hierarchy Based On... Geometry - 5th Grade Mathematics Common Core State Standards
Publisher: National Governors Association Center for Best Practices, Council of Chief State School Officers, Washington D.C.
Copyright Date: 2010
(Page last edited 09/02/2015)
- Identify Polygons - Names of polygons by number of sides and angles - instruction and review, practice, and a quiz
- Minimal Convex Polygon Decomposition - This applet demonstrates the Algorithm of Minimal Convex Polygon Decomposition, by using a dynamic programming approach to the problem.
- Minimal Convex Polygon Decomposition Demo - An applet which will decompose a polygon into a minimal number of convex polygons
- Name that Polygon - Identify name of given polygon components - instruction and review, practice, and a quiz
- Pattern Blocks - This is a little program that lets you make geometrical patterns out of blocks. It's just like playing with wooden pattern blocks, but there is one big difference: a group command, which makes it much easier to build large patterns.
- Polygon Playground - Arrange designs with online movable polygons - hundreds of polygons to drag anywhere you want. Create a composite shape from other shapes.
- Separating Shapes - Shape decomposition exercises and possible solutions. [8 page worksheet]
- Shape Search - Problem sets and solutions for composing and decomposing simple geometric shapes [8 page worksheet]
- Shape Search - Exercises in which students can look for basic geometric shapes in complex real-world architectural forms [2 page worksheet]
- Shapes at Work - Purpose: To look for shapes in both the natural and designed world; to investigate the ways in which shapes can be used; to design and build structures using appropriate shapes