4th Grade Social Studies Resources
Links verified 12/28/2015
Return to Grade Level Help.
Government sites for kids - Numerous resources from the Justice Dept, Department of Treasury's, Digital Diplomacy for Students, National Highway Traffic Safety ,United Nations and too many others to mention.
EdSitement's lesson plans - offers high-quality material on the Internet in the subject areas of literature and language arts, foreign languages, art and culture, and history and social studies. Search for grade level specific web sites and lesson plans.
site for teachers | PowerPoint show | Acrobat document | Word document | whiteboard resource | sound | video format | interactive lesson | a quiz | lesson plan | to print
Geographical Perspectives Regions, Location, Place
- Facts and symbols of the States - Detailed information about every state
- Regions of the United States - Details about the regions
- Regions of the United States - An iAdventure for fourth graders designed to promote awareness of the different regions of the United States.
- Regional Climates - Climate information on the regions plus an online quiz at the end. [This expired link is available through the Wayback Machine Internet Archive. If the page doesn't load quickly click on Impatient? at the bottom right of the page.]
- Oceans and Continents - quia quiz
- Countries and Continents - Free Blank Outline Printable World Maps of the Countries and Continents of the World
- Conquer the Continents - Students have one minute to identify as many countries as possible from the continent he or she chooses.
- Map Skills - Maps show us many types of information. We can learn about a country's landforms, weather, population...almost anything simply by reading a map!.
- National Atlas of the United States - Use this interactive service to draw maps of various complexity.
- Jeopardy Map Game - Geographical and map parts quiz
- Geography and Map Skill Quiz - Answer the questions online - game show style
- Map Skills -PDF file ; Use the map and legend on this page to answer the following questions.
- Lesson plans for 4th and 5th graders - Learning map skills
Human Environment and Systems,
Effects on Society
- How the Industrial Revolution affected Families - The Plight of Women's Work in the Early Industrial Revolution in England and Wales
- Technology Changes in the Home - Take a look at this fantastic visual discussing the coming of technology in home use. This is a time line in the form of a Shockwave image that changes as you pull the slider to the left or right. For any year, you can get information about any object in the image by placing your mouse cursor over the part of the image you are interested in.
Historical And Cultural Perspectives. Timelines
- An Internet4Classrooms page devoted to timelines
- Timeline Travels - Inventions from 1976-2000
- Food Timeline - Track food from the beginning of time
- Timelines & Date Keys for Fast track to America's Past - Timelines from the 1400s to the present. Good teaching tools on reading timelines.
- History of Inventions - Great timeline tool to use for lessons and discovery!
- Civil War for Kids - Timelines, Biographies of Leaders, Mapping Skills and much more
- Thanksgiving Unit and Timeline - Follow the Pilgrims from the time they left for the New World to the First Thanksgiving.
Time, Continuity, and Change
- America's Story - (read about Amazing Americans) Click on the buttons at the top to go to various places, or click the link in the introduction about each section. Visit "Join America at Play," where you'll see a film of an early break-dancer from 1898. Ever hear of a "cloth sandwich"? You'll know what I'm talking about when you read the stories in this section. Many stories from the past
- A Colonial Family - Read about this family, then interact with movies, questions, and photos. Answer questions about life in early times
- Children in Colonial America - webquest
- Revolutionary War - Causes, Battles, Biographies, and more
- Growth of a Nation - (Shockwave needed) An animated movie time line of the thirteen colonies entering into the U.S. (Animated Atlas.Com)
- Life on Plymouth Plantation - Interactive online lesson with many activities
People, Places and Events
- Native Americans - Daily Clothing
- Native American - Have Fun with NativeTech's Online Interactive Games
- Native Americans - Indigenous Food and Traditional Recipes
- Native Americans - Pottery & Clay
- Native Americans - Go on an adventure on the the plains of North America to discover just what kind of life you would have led if you were born to a Plains Indian tribe in the 19th century.s
- U.S. Territorial Maps 1775-1920- Read and interpret maps on Western Expansion
- Revolutionary War Heroes - Webquest - links are across the top to access the activities
- Explorers of the Millennium - Thinkquest activity
Cultures, Cultural Perspectives
- Nez Perce Indians - How Native Americans helped Lewis and Clark.
Civics and Government
- Ben's Guide to the U.S. Government - Basic Civics lessons about government, symbols, judicial branches and more
- PBS Kids Democracy Project - How does government affect your life? Why do we need government?
- How Laws Are Made - Explanation of the process of lawmaking, tracking a bill in progress
- Stand up for your Rights - Stories from the past on how individuals fought for their rights [This expired link is available through the Wayback Machine Internet Archive. If the page doesn't load quickly click on Impatient? at the bottom right of the page.]
- Core Rights of Freedom - Great site which individualizes each right for discussion. [This expired link is available through the Wayback Machine Internet Archive. If the page doesn't load quickly click on Impatient? at the bottom right of the page.]
- Scanned Originals of Early American Documents - Show your students the "real thing!"
Democratic Processes Economic Perspectives Production, Distribution, and Consumption
- Review of the Laws of Supply and Demand - Brief simple explanation of this concept
- 4th Grade Social Studies Standards with detailed Internet Lesson Plans to teach the concepts. From Mobile County Public Schools
- 2003 Grade 4 Social Science Sample ISAT - Released test from the State of Illinois
- 4th Grade Social Studies LEAP test - each page will need to printed separately or use as whole class activity..
- 4th grade links - Web links to use as resources
- PowerPoint Shows on Social Studies Topics -Western Expansion, Native America, Revolutionary War and more.